Is it just me?

RegDunlop

WTF are the Habs doing?

I'm wondering what people think of the timing of the moves in the last few days because it's really weird. Let's recap.

After Mailloux, there's predictable uproar. Fans freak out. Sponsors demand explanations. The prime minister gets involved. Molson finally "apologises", and it looks like the Habs finally understand that their fans do not want players on the roster who are of questionable character. That's fine for other teams, but that's just not how you roll after 110 years of history and 24 cups.

Then on the same day... they sign Mike Hoffman? Now, to be clear, I'm not trying his girlfriend in the court of public opinion, and she hasn't been convicted of anything... but it's pretty weird timing to say the least. Why, after Mailloux, would you run towards another player alleged to be connected to crime (though, to be fair, not convicted)?

And now... they are tripling down on second chances to guys with checkered pasts by signing Chris Wideman, the fall guy for Taxigate. To be clear, I think Wideman is a really good signing. He was unfairly made to be the scapegoat, and was unfairly blackballed from the NHL after the incident. And what he went through afterwards, and overcame, is astounding. 

So I'm not saying Hoffman and Wideman should not have been signed. What I am saying is that there's a weird pattern here, super weird timing, and I am finding it really, really hard to be invested in my favourite team, just months after their best season in 28 years.

Is it just me? Someone please tell me it's just me.

• Stick Tap 1

One more thing, to those who will say "they're just trying to build the best hockey team they can." The Habs are never, ever trying to build the best hockey team that they can, without regard to anything else. Recall that most NHL-level coaches, and most NHL-level GMs, are not eligible to work for the Habs, because they do not speak French. So don't tell me the off-ice stuff doesn't matter in Montreal.

Edited by RegDunlop

The Wideman story was well covered by the Athletic, in an article that I would strongly recommend but unfortunately is paywalled. That article made it seem like him being cast as the fall guy was really unfair, and led to him being blackballed. He seems to have struggled with, and overcome, some serious mental health issues. Good on him.

I had forgotten about Kassian. There was a no-tolerance policy on his allegedly driving drunk because he could have really hurt someone, changing their life forever...  meanwhile, Mailloux actually did...

Now let's all watch as the Habs trade for Evander Kane. That would be the icing on the cake. Come on MB, quadruple down on your "hockey decisions." I dare ya.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I get your plight. Maybe there's a shift in the way team management is working?

All the class act bullshit has done the Habs no favors in the quest to win the cup. 

Here we have quality players  on  what could be considered low end contracts. It's good GM'ing from a financial standpoint.

As for the Mailloux. Right now. He needs guidance to help him become a better person. 

I remember being 16 and the shit I was doing . I wish I had a structure around me to guide me then .. Let alone the entire organization of the Montreal Canadiens.

What message this sends is what you take from it. 

Is it  - the Habs are stepping up to help a young man be responsible and become a better person.

or is it - this kid fucked up hard and should be shunned from society. 

Helping everyone, healing the wounds, guiding the youth (because he was obviously misguided) should be priority #1.

It is the better message. It is the better way to be. Help the ones that lose their way. To a degree of course.

If they (the Canadiens) were even smarter they would extend a hand to the young woman and help her get through whatever it is she is going through . 

Edited by leevaughn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How arrogant of a hockey team (and their fans) to think that they have any role to play in helping someone become a better person, let alone rehabilitating a convicted offender (because that’s what we’re talking about here, make no mistake). I know some folks in that line of work. Maybe they should lace em up and line up next to Suzuki and Toffoli... 

And I don’t even know where to even begin with the suggestion that a hockey team, and the employer of the perpetrator no less, could « extend a hand » (whatever that means) to the victim. As if that would be anything else than adding insult to injury, and rubbing salt in a deep, deep wound.

Honestly thinking about it makes me sick. Please, let’s stop talking about this as a boys will be boys thing and give it the respect and seriousness it deserves. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RegDunlop said:

Honestly thinking about it makes me sick. Please, let’s stop talking about this as a boys will be boys thing and give it the respect and seriousness it deserves. 

I totally agree with Reg on this fact. But helping a person whose moral, ethical understanding of the world is wrong can come with added rewards. One, putting a spotlight on this young man's problems puts a spotlight on a societal problem. If he can be helped and does the right thing to enlighten those young men that act the way he has, then some good can come from this tragic situation. Two, we all deserve a 2nd chance if we take responsibility for our actions. He has the chance to become a better person and give something back to society. As to his victim, hopefully Mailloux does the right things to help her through her trauma. And I hope the Canadiens are motivated to actually help Mailloux and not just save some money on a contract. But it's on Mailloux shoulders to make this opportunity work for him and the Canadiens.

37 minutes ago, Festivus said:

I just noticed 3 of your banners are the same....2017-18 IFHL REG SEASON CHAMPS...strange

I almost never look at them. I'm proud of my record but it is the now that's important. Looks like I'll be dropping 2 banners. Now I'm even more motivated to get my next banner. 

3 hours ago, Salros said:

I totally agree with Reg on this fact. But helping a person whose moral, ethical understanding of the world is wrong can come with added rewards. One, putting a spotlight on this young man's problems puts a spotlight on a societal problem. If he can be helped and does the right thing to enlighten those young men that act the way he has, then some good can come from this tragic situation. Two, we all deserve a 2nd chance if we take responsibility for our actions. He has the chance to become a better person and give something back to society. As to his victim, hopefully Mailloux does the right things to help her through her trauma. And I hope the Canadiens are motivated to actually help Mailloux and not just save some money on a contract. But it's on Mailloux shoulders to make this opportunity work for him and the Canadiens.

To be clear, I'm pulling for Mailloux. I hope he comes to understand the consequences of his actions, finds true remorse, and is able to become a better person. And I agree that it's on his shoulders to show he can grow and deserve an NHL job. I just think that the Habs made it harder for him to do that by not respecting his decision to sit this year out, and it's really disappointing from my perspective as a fan of the team. Anyway, well said Salros - I agree 100% and could not have said it better myself.