50 in 50 Debate

Dougall

I'm curious of people's opinions on the topic (hoping un biased both ways), but Matthews scored 50 goals in 50 games. The first since Lemieux in the 90's, but the NHL only recognizes 50 in the first 50 games as a thing. Personally I think 50 in 50 is the same thing, but I suppose my take doesn't matter to the NHL. Read a cool article on the topic and it was funny.

A paragraph in the article must have been written after interviewing @Vegeta though...

And at this point, I don't even know if it's [? just ?] because there's, like, a whole-- it's a rivalry thing. Like, I don't understand why non-Leafs fans are so hesitant to say, hey, Auston Matthews has 50 goals in his last 50 games. That's pretty cool. I don't get it. Now it's turning into, like, oh, no, he actually didn't. Cole Caulfield is better.

• Haha 1

Cam Neely did it too, but like you said, the NHL only recognizes the accomplishment from the start of a teams schedule. I think it's viewed more like a race, with team games being the markers. Theoretically, you could hit 50 in 50 over separate seasons. Would that have to be considered as the same accomplishment? 

I think it just makes for simpler accounting to go with team games vs goals. But that doesn't mean what Matthews did is any less impressive, IMO

50 in the first 50 is more impressive, in my opinion. To start the season so hot is remarkable. 

50 in any 50 is also very impressive though. Even ovechkin didn't pull that off. 

Of course, Matthews plays a lot of games in Canada, so you have to factor in the exchange rate. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ralphdog said:

Cam Neely did it too, but like you said, the NHL only recognizes the accomplishment from the start of a teams schedule. I think it's viewed more like a race, with team games being the markers. Theoretically, you could hit 50 in 50 over separate seasons. Would that have to be considered as the same accomplishment? 

I think it just makes for simpler accounting to go with team games vs goals. But that doesn't mean what Matthews did is any less impressive, IMO

Interesting thought. I know that baseball recognizes stats in separate seasons. For example, Jordan Romano just boke the Jays record with 26 straight un blown saves. Obviously he only has 3 on the year.

Either way, I view it as impressive that these guys can score 50 goals in any straight 50 games. As @James said, even Ovi never did that.

• Stick Tap 1

I think it's weird that hockey folks are disqualifying the 50 in 50 because it's not at the start of the season. I understand that this is a specific stat, no problem (beginning from game one), but who is the last player to score 50 goals in any 50-game span? That has to be some pretty rare company.

Also, couldn't it potentially be easier to score 50 goals in the first 50 games? Games could be seen as less meaningful? Team chemistry might be lower? Players slow to re-accommodate to the NHL's pace? Just throwing ideas out there. Obviously these aren't solid facts.

52 minutes ago, Bagwell said:

I think it's weird that hockey folks are disqualifying the 50 in 50 because it's not at the start of the season. I understand that this is a specific stat, no problem (beginning from game one), but who is the last player to score 50 goals in any 50-game span? That has to be some pretty rare company.

Also, couldn't it potentially be easier to score 50 goals in the first 50 games? Games could be seen as less meaningful? Team chemistry might be lower? Players slow to re-accommodate to the NHL's pace? Just throwing ideas out there. Obviously these aren't solid facts.

Last…Lemieux in the 90’s

2 hours ago, Bagwell said:

I do think there tend to be more goals scored in the first month of the season.  No evidence to back that up though.

46 minutes ago, James said:

I do think there tend to be more goals scored in the first month of the season.  No evidence to back that up though.

I got two words for you, James: Brian. Savage. Hockey's Mr. October!

I know what would put an end to the debate. All Leafs players need to do is actually achieve milestones that are unquestionable from any angle. Like winning the Stanley Cup, for instance. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RegDunlop said:

I got two words for you, James: Brian. Savage. Hockey's Mr. October!

I know what would put an end to the debate. All Leafs players need to do is actually achieve milestones that are unquestionable from any angle. Like winning the Stanley Cup, for instance. 

I guess that none of this matters is Matthews scores 0 or 1 and the Leafs get bounced in the first round again. Regular season means nothing without career playoff success. My hope is that it took Stamkos and the Lightning years before they finally broke through. Still time for my Leafs.

7 hours ago, Dougall said:

I'm curious of people's opinions on the topic (hoping un biased both ways), but Matthews scored 50 goals in 50 games. The first since Lemieux in the 90's, but the NHL only recognizes 50 in the first 50 games as a thing. Personally I think 50 in 50 is the same thing, but I suppose my take doesn't matter to the NHL. Read a cool article on the topic and it was funny.

A paragraph in the article must have been written after interviewing @Vegeta though...

And at this point, I don't even know if it's [? just ?] because there's, like, a whole-- it's a rivalry thing. Like, I don't understand why non-Leafs fans are so hesitant to say, hey, Auston Matthews has 50 goals in his last 50 games. That's pretty cool. I don't get it. Now it's turning into, like, oh, no, he actually didn't. Cole Caulfield is better.

Way to easy to trigger  a leafs fan,  Caufield isnt better, thats just projection  on your part, hes not even close to beeing better.  Matthews Might be the Best current goal scorer in this league, depending on your tought on ovechkin. that beeing said  Matthews constant no shows  in the playoff  is worriesome,  but  I wouldnt stress it, hell get over the hjump someday,  I dont care if someone claims am34 got 50 in 50 is legit or not,  its still quite  remarkable despite what anyone says.
The fact that this got a thread is illustrating  what the rest of the world think of leafs fans, they take everything personal and its a blast  to Bait em ! Kinda like the habs fake fans to an extent!

edit: they most likely get bounced in the first round again,  but this time to a Better team so dont sweat it to much!

Edited by Vegeta
  • Stick Tap 1