Guy Guy Guy

Raken65

Habs nation and the entire hockey world lost a legend today.

Guy Guy Guy

He was my hero, my super hero as a kid. I was spoiled as a kid, my father had company season tickets  but would often give them to me and my 2 brothers. I would go to about 10 games a year at the glorious Forum during the 70's dynasty. Memories flooded back to me this morning as I heard of his passing. Memories so vivid and fresh in my mind as if they happened yesterday. Too many to recount here but will fill me with happiness forever.

As an adult I met him in 2012 at a book signing. I was as nervous as my 6 year old self watching him play. I kept thinking what will I say to my superhero. 

As I approached him my stupid self, instead of saying hi how are you, blurted out Ask me anything about your career, he said when did I get my 1st hat trick, I quickly and excitedly responded in 1971 against Minnesota playing on a line with Houle and Tardif. He looked at me in a way I imagine a victim would look at their stalker and said you know more about my career than I do.

RIP my superhero le demon blond 

• Like 1
  • Stick Tap 5

I grew up watching and admiring Guy, too. There was nothing like seeing him fly down the right-wing, long hair blowing back (yes, before helmets were mandatory). There was always something special about Guy - everyone knew it. Boy or boy could Guy skate and shoot! I need to go back and watch that goal he scored against Boston's Gilbert that turned the series around. 

RIP, Guy

• Like 1
  • Stick Tap 2

I'm too young to remember the Good Guy. I remember Rangers Guy and Nordiques Guy. Those were not great times.

But I have come to appreciate all the great things about Guy over the years, as a student of hockey history. One of his accomplishments that is near the top of the list for me is that he once made Don Cherry look very, very stupid. I think we can all get behind that!

• Stick Tap 2

I imagine a monster funeral back home. I would attend for sure. Have to admit listening to guys talk about him over different highlights this morning did bring tears to my eyes. The hockey world, especially Quebec, mourns the loss of one of our last hockey heroes. Rest easy Guy. 

• Like 1
  • Stick Tap 2

Nice tribute Raken.

I started following hockey in 85-86, so I just missed cheering for him in the Bleu Blanc Rouge. Like Reg, I’ve only known him as a Ranger and Nordique.

Never met him, but by all accounts he was a class act. Somehow bigger than life and yet totally accessible and relatable.

For those in QC, RDI will be airing a documentary tonight at 8pm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Video of Lafleur’s last goal in the NHL, scored in the old Forum before those who adored him most.

The play by play guy is Claude Quenneville who was a long time friend of Flower. He is still alive but unfortunately also stricken with cancer.

• Like 1
  • Stick Tap 1