Fantasy First Hockey Podcast

James

32 minutes ago, Festivus said:

Ok but what emotion is a takeaway in overtime if you don't even recognize it happen?

I’d argue that takeaways are pretty noticeable.. Especially in OT. You don’t recognize when your team gains control of the puck from a little extra touch of effort or skill? Think body check, interception, stick check, etc.. especially in overtime, a takeaway often leads to a breakaway or odd man rush. 

Not a perfect fantasy stat by any means, but much better than GWG which is generally dependant on the rest of the team scoring goals too. Foegele can only score a game winning goal because McDavid already scored 4 goals earlier. No McDavid, no game winning goal for Foegele. Technically all 5 goals are game winning because they would lose without the first ones too. And like James said, what’s so special about scoring a random goal 10 minutes into the game that ends up being the game winner? 

Edited by BenB17
  • Stick Tap 1

Yes a goal like that should not be considered a GWG. A GWG should only be a GWG in 1 goal games or 2 goal games when an empty netter has been scored. But in any case, I know Ben, how much you love the takeaway, as you staunchly defend it time and time again, but you will never convince me how great it is. 

I do see the argument, don't get me wrong, But I would argue that even First Goals might be better! Anyway, the debate has been raised before, it is what it is. I'm not all that interested in more back and forth on it. We could settle this the usual way.....

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Festivus said:

Yes a goal like that should not be considered a GWG. A GWG should only be a GWG in 1 goal games or 2 goal games when an empty netter has been scored. But in any case, I know Ben, how much you love the takeaway, as you staunchly defend it time and time again, but you will never convince me how great it is. 

I do see the argument, don't get me wrong, But I would argue that even First Goals might be better! Anyway, the debate has been raised before, it is what it is. I'm not all that interested in more back and forth on it. We could settle this the usual way.....

I actually voted for a different category to use when we were removing GWG… but takeaways are still better than GWG. Just trying to make sure James doesn’t get too influenced by you complainers into reverting back is all 😉

• Approve 1

Great episode - lots of good stories from James. There were some really good debates, too. My two cents on a few of them:

1. Patrick Roy is the greatest goalie of all time, and nothing will change my mind about that. But James' point about how Hasek's creativity would sustain him in any era is very, very hard to get around. I don't think you can say that to the same extent about any player, let alone any goalie.

2. Lemieux vs Crosby is no debate. Lemieux by a longshot, especially if Mario had the benefits of 2020s medical science to help his back (and keep him away from the between-period darts). I watch the Pens whenever I can, and I've never seen Crosby lift that team like Lemieux did.

3. Hockey handedness: I don't know why, but I have always been fascinated by this. I am a right-handed person who shoots right (like Mario, as it happens). As a little kid, I tried to learn to shoot left, but never could. Around 8 or 9 years old, I eventually had to learn to shoot left when I moved from right wing to goal (I'm right-handed, so I catch left, which means as a goalie I have to shoot left). It was terrifying, but I got used to it. By the end of high school, I had been shooting left for years and years as a goalie. Even so, to this day when I pick up a player stick, it needs to be a righty.

The dominant-hand-on-top mechanics seem to be much more common, but there are two things I don't get about shooting like that.

First, for stickhandling, isn't it easier to be nifty if your dominant hand is closer to the puck? Second, wouldn't you want your dominant foot (which is usually the same as your dominant hand) as your back foot when you shoot? To me, it makes really good sense... but righthanded righties and lefthanded lefties seem to be squarely in the minority.

Why? And is it possible that there's no rhyme or reason to this at all, and if so, doesn't that make hockey kind of a unique sport?

Edited by RegDunlop
  • Stick Tap 1
  • Approve 1

Ultimately, shooting (like batting, golfing, or punching) is all about hip movement, right?  And the hip movement really is similar for all three movements.  So it's odd that most people do hockey differently from the other two.  

Also, my shot is garbage, so maybe that's why.  Maybe I should go back to righty.

We talked briefly in the episode about when jagr almost came back to Pittsburgh in 2011, but I’d forgotten how close it really came. Well-timed article on the Athletic this week had this little note from the Pens beat reporter:

“You may remember a little thing back in 2011 that we called #jagrwatch. Man, those were the days.

On the night we believed Jagr was actually flying to Pittsburgh (turtles on the runway at JFK, etc.) I went to Pittsburgh International to wait for him. He never showed, of course. But it was OK. There were hundreds of Penguins fans there to greet him, and I ended up chatting with them until 2 or 3 a.m. It was actually a great experience, just a bunch of Penguins fans hanging out at the airport to greet Jaromir Jagr.

And it’s not like there wasn’t reason to think it was happening. At the NHL Draft a few days earlier, Dan Bylsma removed a pen and paper from his pocket and showed me what he was going to do with Jagr on the power play. (Sid and Jagr rotating from the goal line to the right-wing wall, Evgeni Malkin on the left point, Kris Letang running the show up top, and James Neal in the slot/net front).”

• Stick Tap 1
  • Approve 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...