Fantasy First Hockey Podcast

James

15 hours ago, James said:

I think more teams in the playoffs is a bad idea. Totally agree with lee (or was it Chris?) that below average teams (I.e. teams in the bottom half of the league) should not make the playoffs. If the sole argument is financial benefit for the team, that’s not good enough for me. 

also what impact would an expanded playoff have on the trade deadline? Wouldn’t we see less activity? No fun in that. 

I think 16 is probably just right. I would like to see them move to a 4 wild card option though (top 2 in each division plus next 4). The 8 teams with the best record should make it. Full stop. 

totally aside, I would argue that a winner take all play in makes MORE sense in hockey than in baseball. One ace and a weak rotation can still make it, but will easily be handled in the first round. You should have to prove your rotational (and bullpen) depth to advance. 

Ya there is a fine line to walk here. Too many teams is maybe no good, but an increase is warranted based on the league has gone from 21 teams and 16 making it, to 32 teams and 16 making it.

We shouldn't have some stud players going 8 or 10 years without sniffing the playoffs. Their only hope is being traded to a contender in some cases. Great hockey cities with great hockey fans not getting a whiff or getting to feel the electricity a playoff run can offer. In most cases an team sneaking into the dance isn't going to win a Stanley Cup but that said team could gain some nice playoff experience, the city can revel in it and the owners can make a few extra bucks.

Maybe in each conference top 8 teams are in and then the next 4 ranked clubs do a single game knockout, (highest ranked vs lowest) or best of 3 and you end up with 10 teams making it. The top 2 seeds in each conference are rewarded byes because of their regular season success. Highest ranked plays lowest ranked and re-seeding happens every round.

So to start 9th place plays 12th place and 10th plays 11th. The winners advance to the first round where the lowest seed would play the 3rd seed. The second lowest seed would play 4th seed. 5th seed plays 8th seed, and 6th seed plays 7th. Four series. Four winners. Add in your two bye teams and you have 6 teams and 3 series for a great second round.

This is where it gets a little tricky.

The problem with three series, means there are 3 winners.

We call the third round the "Round of Three" where the there are three teams left in the conference on each side leaving the final 6. The best seeded team of each conference would play the worst seeded team on the other conference and the two middle teams would face off.

AAAAND that's where it all falls apart, because after this you're left with three teams.

And when you look at it, it actually pretty much has to be 16 teams otherwise the math doesn't work and the integrity of the Price of Wales trophy and the Clarence Campbell Bowl falls by the wayside.

It has to be done another way. 

18 hours ago, Ralphdog said:

Bold predictions to be thrown around by the goons on FFHP. Or any prediction. I'll take any prediction....fantasyfirsthockeypodcast@gmail.com

I have a few predictions 

Jake Sanderson wins the Calder

Zadina scores 20 goals and 50 points 

Roslovic becomes 1st line center in Columbus 

Flyers are in the bottom 3 with Arizona and Chicago

Rangers win the Stanley Cup as Lafreniere goes next level

2 hours ago, Raken65 said:

I have a few predictions 

Jake Sanderson wins the Calder

Zadina scores 20 goals and 50 points 

Roslovic becomes 1st line center in Columbus 

Flyers are in the bottom 3 with Arizona and Chicago

Rangers win the Stanley Cup as Lafreniere goes next level

Anybody else please email them in, fantasyfirsthockeypodcast@gmail.com

1 minute ago, vojdog said:

As always another great episode gents.   If you haven’t listened you could be missing some pro level advice hint ….dropped players). I loved this segment as it reminded me about how creative of trades we can make .

ps Lee as always is correct vojdog  sounds like “vodge” 

• Stick Tap 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thunder said:

What’s up with your logo colours?

It shows orange or grey depending on how I hold my tablet.

What kind of voodoo is this?

Funny, I changed it to orange to add some pop, and the first episode following the change had the most listeners to date. Coincidence or not, who knows....but the alternating colors sounds like a you problem, haven't heard that from any of the other 13 listeners.

• Haha 2

I’m Team Lee on this trophy argument. No reason to change those names. Doesn’t matter who Norris is… the Norris is for the best defenseman. That’s what matters. 

remember when people were suggesting to rename the divisions like Gretzky and Lemieux? It’s weird. Things shouldn’t be named after living people. 

• Like 2
  • Stick Tap 1