Oilers Trade Yakupov to St. Louis for nothing

byz

Homer Alert: (im a hockey fan first, blues fan second) 

I think he has an opportunity to do really well. hes 150% better than David Perron as far as RW2 goes.  The Blues plan this offseason was to get faster, not bigger.  This helps that.  Assuming that Yak plays on the 2nd line (which he should) the 15 goals is pretty much a lock... Fabbri-Stastny-Yakupov so it will be a 2nd round pick (in 2018) for sure. 

having said that, much like bagwell mentioned this could be a MPS situation all over again.  im cautiously opptomistic, but Yak has way more upside than MPS ever did. 

Seems to me that the Blues werent really impressed with Either Ty Rattie or Landon Ferraro (the two battling for a roster spot).  This move was a result of that. Rattie didnt really improve size wise over the summer and im not too sure what the deal was with Ferraro.  

I gotta be honest, im not sure what EDM brass were thinking here, but in the end its their own fault that Yak's value was so low (and probably a lot HIS fault as well)

Edited by Ydomat

4 hours ago, Bagwell said:

You guys remember Magnus Paajarvi, right? Same fate.

The Blues Top 9 was pretty solid then. Now... you cant really say that. other than Senko, RW is pretty much anyones game. Perron, yakupov, jaskin, Rattie, Ferraro, Barbashev, Reaves (i know i know). Brouwer and Backes leaving left a hole there a mile wide.  he could possibly be in line for the same fate, but part of me doubts it.  

Edited by Ydomat

Just now, Ydomat said:

The Blues Top 9 was pretty solid then. Now... you cant really say that. other than Senko, RW is pretty much anyones game. Perron, yakupov, jaskin, Rattie, Ferraro, Barbashev, you man them. Brouwer and Backes leaving left a hole there a mile wide.  he could possibly be in line for the same fate, but part of me doubts it.  

I was just giving the Blues a hard time (former Central rivals). I could absolutely see him excelling in STL. The only problem I have with Yak is every time I see him play, he's all over the place. I feel as though he tries to do too much. Maybe he won't have to in STL.

1 minute ago, Ydomat said:

I would like to say that if i were an Edmonton fan i would not be happy at all with that return. >_< i feel for you guys. <3

Just wait............. he will skate fast and look busy but get nothing done, yeah I wish we got more but he was kinda like trying to get a Saab to be awesome and then trying to sell it when it wasn't 

Likely St. Louis opening night lines were just posted:

@jprutherford #stlblues lines
Fabbri-Stastny-Steen
Perron-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Jaskin-Berglund-Yakupov
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves
Extras: Paajarvi, Rattie

Aside from the brief time with McDavid, Yakupov always played his best with a veteran skilled center (Horcoff, Roy). I could see him doing very well there, especially if he can get some PP time.

10 hours ago, knobert said:

Just wait............. he will skate fast and look busy but get nothing done, yeah I wish we got more but he was kinda like trying to get a Saab to be awesome and then trying to sell it when it wasn't 

Exactly. 

Yakupov is flashy and fast all right, but he's ultimately a perimeter player who doesn't play great defence. Surprising that's someone Hitch would want on his team.

Will he flash with some skill from time to time? Sure. But I'm betting he drives Hitch nuts sooner rather than later and gets demoted to either the fourth line or press box.

My money is on Yak going to the KHL next summer after flaming out.

The return the Oilers got was a decent draft pick and Kris Russell. I'd make that trade any day.

Did they really need to draft a forward in 2012? Just think how these players could have fit better long term, M Reilly, Vasilevskiy, Galchenyuk, Lindholm, Filip Forsburg, Ryan Murray or even Teravainen, and they trade him for a 3rd round and some ECFL prospect. Sure hate to be their scout that made the final decision on Yak. 

I think the oilers were in a bad spot.  BPA were always forwards but you can't build a team from the front end only.  They probably should have traded down in hindsight and drafted players like Jones instead of burning those first overalls.  I think those players were all a perfect storm of down draft years + development issues.

Imagine if they did some savvy trades each year and still drafted top 5 each season.