The 2016 Draft

byz

Because our dear forums were down during the draft, I never got to talk about the draft with my favourite knowledgeable people! How about it then!

Screenshot-draft.png

Toronto grabbed their franchise center, Jets grabbed a potential game-breaking winger. Can't can't can't believe Columbus passed over Puljujarvi, but their center depth is lacking (Dubinsky - Jenner - Wennberg - Dubois?). Sergachev went higher than I thought he would, Juolevi definitely did. Shocked Chychrun fell to #16, his projection looks similar to a Brent Seabrook without a lot of risk. Coyotes have to be happy there.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the draft?

Holland traded down and passed on Chychrun so he could get rid of Daytsuks contract and sign

Drumroll....

Darin Helm (lifetime), Frans Nielsen (lifetime), Vanek, and Ott.  And do absolutely nothing about defense.

Holland is in bottom 5 of GM's probably bottom 3.

Classic Fuku right here. Let's see why it was a GREAT move.

Chychrun will likely be a 3-4 defenseman in the league - at least that's what the experts were saying. Ken Holland, being the genius that he is, traded down FOUR spots, got rid of Datsyuk's contract, AND got a second-rounder out of it. To me, that's incredible. I trust their scouting department in determining the gap between Cholowski and Chychrun isn't that big. In fact, I've heard that Cholowski's hockey-IQ is through the roof. With the additional second-round pick, they drafted another d-man, Filip Hronek, who was drafted 14th overall in this year's CHL import draft. The kid is 18 and played for Czech in the U20 tournament. I'm fine with that. So overall...

Chychrun and Datsyuk's cap hit

for

Cholowski, Hronek and Vitale's contract

The cap room was crucial. We were able to sign Nielsen. He's going to surprise you.

We have too many forwards right now. A trade is looming. I'm excited for this year!

Edited by Bagwell

1 hour ago, fukufuji said:

Holland is in bottom 5 of GM's probably bottom 3.

Had to comment on this as well. Haha. 25 years of straight playoff performances keeps him out of the bottom five alone. The team hasn't been great lately, but competitive.

Edited by Bagwell

1 hour ago, Bagwell said:

Had to comment on this as well. Haha. 25 years of straight playoff performances keeps him out of the bottom five alone. The team hasn't been great lately, but competitive.

I think this is their problem now.  They're too focused on keeping the streak alive and it's leaving Detroit as a middle team. They're not drafting as well as they used to so there are not enough prospects to replace their aging vets. This leads them to overpay free agents and not have enough cap space to fill holes. I'd be frustrated if I was a wings fan. 

On a Canucks note, Benning managed to frustrate me again. He loves power forwards so I thought picking Tkachuk was idiotproof, turns out it wasn't. I don't mind Juolevi, but picking a dman so high is a bigger risk, and they take longer to develop.... And now Benning is talking about how he wants to trade for a big winger... 

Edited by Zipper14

Was very happy with the Canes draft and I really Ron Francis has this team going in the right direction. While Bean wasn't a high need position, we have all seen how valuable Dmen are in the NHL (Larsson for Hall). That gives the Canes a future D group of Faulk/Hanafin/Fleury/McKeown/Bean/Pesce/Slavin/Murphy. They could arguably have the best young D group in 3-4 years. I loved the Gauthier pick at 21. Kid is already physically ready for the NHL and can snipe. I really think the Canes could potentially have another Aho on their hands with Kuokkanen. Very excited for what the future holds for the Canes organization.

I was super happy with Sergachyov, who seems like a pretty safe bet.

I had hoped Keller would still be there at 9, but once he was off the board Sergachyov was the guy that seemed most interesting to me.

Of course none of this matters anymore since a few days later Bergevin would go on to crush my soul.

We'll see last time Holland traded down we had Jurco and XO who people toughted for years until now when it looks like Jurco will be waved and XO is looking like a bottom paring D.

The constant 1 year veteran signings just to make the playoffs have kept the wings good enough to pick +15 with no chance of competing for a cup.  That is a permanent position as proven by the 1990-2000 Calgary Flames and New York Rangers.  Even worse so in a cap era.  The lifetime contracts of Zetts. Kronwall, Howard, Helm, Abby, Franzen, and now Neilsen are a complete hindrance to any future core.  They do nothing but keep the wings good enough for a first round exit while creating a log jam of prospects we don't know suck until they are 24.  This team is going to be at the cap without a single elite player on the roster.  Ken Holland locks up mediocre bottom roster talent and employs coaches that play them with top 6 ice time.  The ice berg is dead ahead and Holland is at the 'Helm' (see what I did there).

When Holland fails to trade for a defense-man and signs Quincey to a 5 year 4 million dollar cap hit lets circle back and update this.  Or maybe someone else will sign Quincey and Holland can trade another first for him.

There are a few prospects to be excited about but at this time the wings prospect pool is no different than any other team, not outstanding.  Wings prospects get overrated because they peak in the AHL when the wings roster is full of Alfredsons, Clearys, Weiss's and Richards's

Edited by fukufuji

loll goaltending is such a crapshoot, look at the most touted goalies from thepast 10 years ( mainly world junior window)

campbelll....

frazee .....

fucale ..... 

demko......

basicly all of canada goaltender... blackwood , tokarski,pogge,brossoit,visentin,subban,allen ( still not #1)

looks like most goaltender flourish post evaluation period.... vs oher position

On 13/07/2016 at 4:25 PM, Zipper14 said:

I think this is their problem now.  They're too focused on keeping the streak alive and it's leaving Detroit as a middle team. They're not drafting as well as they used to so there are not enough prospects to replace their aging vets. This leads them to overpay free agents and not have enough cap space to fill holes. I'd be frustrated if I was a wings fan. 

On a Canucks note, Benning managed to frustrate me again. He loves power forwards so I thought picking Tkachuk was idiotproof, turns out it wasn't. I don't mind Juolevi, but picking a dman so high is a bigger risk, and they take longer to develop.... And now Benning is talking about how he wants to trade for a big winger... 

benning seems so bad on the surface , not a single move makes sens from a fan standpoint

On 7/13/2016 at 1:25 PM, Zipper14 said:

I didn't have a problem with Canucks taking Juolevi when they did.(5th) If you like a Dman enough you take him. When you don't have anymore picks in the 1st round you either take him then or say goodbye to him forever. If you look back to the 94 draft Jovanoski went 1st and Tverdovsky another Dman went 2nd. Nolan Baumgartner went 10th. It was really no secret that the Canucks wanted Pierre-Luc Dubois and when that went sideways that's when plan B was put into action. We all thought we knew the order of how the selections were going to go until Columbus had us all on the floor. So we shall see. I do remember when the Canucks took a Dman in the 1st round and I was pissed. I'm looking at this baby faced kid and thinking who is this kid going to move from in front of the net or a long the wall. Boy was I wrong. That baby faced kid was Mattias Ohlund who turned out to be some kind of warrior. Other Dmen that went early Drew Doughty 2nd Victor Hedman went 2nd Zach Brogosian 3rd Alex Pietrangelo went 4th. The list is endless. I'm looking forward as to see how these picks etc. turn out.

10 hours ago, The Rainman said:

I didn't have a problem with Canucks taking Juolevi when they did.(5th) If you like a Dman enough you take him. When you don't have anymore picks in the 1st round you either take him then or say goodbye to him forever. If you look back to the 94 draft Jovanoski went 1st and Tverdovsky another Dman went 2nd. Nolan Baumgartner went 10th. It was really no secret that the Canucks wanted Pierre-Luc Dubois and when that went sideways that's when plan B was put into action. We all thought we knew the order of how the selections were going to go until Columbus had us all on the floor. So we shall see. I do remember when the Canucks took a Dman in the 1st round and I was pissed. I'm looking at this baby faced kid and thinking who is this kid going to move from in front of the net or a long the wall. Boy was I wrong. That baby faced kid was Mattias Ohlund who turned out to be some kind of warrior. Other Dmen that went early Drew Doughty 2nd Victor Hedman went 2nd Zach Brogosian 3rd Alex Pietrangelo went 4th. The list is endless. I'm looking forward as to see how these picks etc. turn out.

Those guys were all regarded as can't miss picks, which is why they are in the top 5. Juolevi is not regarded as can't miss. It's even debatable as to whether or not he's the best dman in the draft class, and the second Dman drafted didn't go until #9.  I think there's a chance he's a Griffin Reinhart (4), Derrick Pouliot (8), Adam Larsson (4), Erik Gudbranson (3), Luke Schenn (5), Thomas Hickey (4), or even Erik Johnson (1), who is solid, but he was taken instead of Toews or Backstrom. 

I do think Benning's scouting is probably his forte, and I think he probably did try to trade down, so I'm not heartbroken about the pick. It's just strange that he didn't take the obvious power forward pick, when he took one with the first pick in the last two drafts, and when dmen have a lesser chance of working out  

It's too bad he couldn't have taken a shot at a dman with the 33rd pick, but that was given away in the Gudbranson deal.