July 1st UFA Thread - Winners and Losers

bill0755

19 hours ago, Dougall said:

So I've decided that the BIGGEST winner of this year's free agency signings is............ME!!!!!

And all of the other hard bitten die hard Toronto based Leaf fans.  It was a beautiful sign to see my team finally convince not only a quality local player to come home, but a SUPERSTAR local player to come home.  Just three years ago and for the past decade none of this would have been possible.  The Maple Leafs are officially no longer the Maple Laughs and have FINALLY turned the corner into a quality franchise again.  No more half measures and cut and paste rebuilds.  Shanahan played in Detroit and learned the most important rule by one of the best GM's Ken Holland...surround yourself with as much talent as you can.  

Can't wait for October!!!

I just threw up in my mouth

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, djb738 said:

Islanders are going hard after Karlsson right now. Not a bad consolation prize for losing Tavares if they can land him.

so theyll gut their offense more  for karlsson.. after that trade they might b worst then ottawa

10 minutes ago, Bluecharm said:

Yes pretty much although they seem intent on trading their captain, Justin Faulk.  Or do the story goes.  They also have Jake Bean who might get a look this year.

Really like the de Haan signing. Left handed shot which the Canes needed. Writing is on the wall that the Canes will move Faulk. Bean probably spends the season in the AHL. Canes D will be Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/De Haan/Van Reimsdyk/Fleury.

So Lou signed two forwards ( Komarov, Kuhnackle ) and traded for Martin. These primarily 4th line players scored a whopping 12 goals combined last year. 

Sign Lehner to replace Halak.

I think Lou is going back to the Broad Street days with Komarov and Martin. Kuhn is at best a 12-13 forward who is not that good at P.K. where he was used extensively last year. 

So far would have to grade Lou an F+ on his offseason. 

Boy, it’s shaping up to be a real tough year for Islander fans 

Edited by bill0755

4 hours ago, byz said:

Serious question about Lehner - what's wrong with him? .908 sv% on a really bad Buffalo team, .920 the year before.. why is he so cheap?

Yes I was kind of thinking that Lehner just might be a bounce back candidate myself.  But with the Isles that will be tough to do.

One can only hope that Trotz can work some magic with this back line and goalie tandem next season. Not much left as far as defenseman in free agency, so barring any significant trades ( read that Karlsson has NO interest in the Islanders..ouch ), looks a little challenging to be an Islander goalie bombarded with shot after shot...

Boychuk

Leddy

Hickey

Puloch

Mayfield

Pelech

Greiss

Lehner